Saturday, April 22, 2023

S is for Saliva (Body Folktales)

 This year, my A to Z Challenge theme is Body Folktales. Enjoy! 

NOTE: I am sorry I have not been visiting back. I really miss seeing all your posts! I was traveling, my phone died, and then the Internet went down at home. I will catch up as soon as I can!

I could not find a single image that was not gross,
so here's a puppy.

CW: These stories will get gross.

Spitting and saliva have long featured into all kinds of customs and folklore. This book has a long list of them. I also blogged about a Japanese legend earlier about a samurai killing a giant centipede with arrows he'd spat on. Here are some other interesting tales I found:


In this 5th century legend a saint slays a dragon by spitting into its mouth. The trick works, says the notes, because there was a long-standing belief that human saliva is scalding to serpents. In another 13th century text, people trap and kill a dragon by fasting and then spitting a circle around it.
(This is a whole D&D adventure waiting to happen...)

Juan and the Princess (Philippines)

A poor boy is challenged by a king to find his hidden daughter. He succeeds, but the king still doesn't want to keep his promise and marry him to the princess. Juan receives help from some birds, who give him a pen-point but no ink, telling him to use his saliva. Whatever the king makes him write turns to gold, proving that the boy is special.

Kvasir (Norse mythology)

In Norse mythology there is a wise being named Kvasir, who was born from a bowl of spit. The Aesir and Vanir gods once had a fight, and decided to make peace by spitting into a bowl together (try this next time you have a family fight). Thus, Kvasir was born, blessed with all kinds of knowledge. Later, two Dwarves killed him, and from his blood they made the Mead of Poetry.


Chasing a monster that has been stealing apples from the garden, the hero of this story ends up in the depths of the underworld. There, he meets a woman who is making dough with her own saliva instead of water, for her six children. She tells the hero that there is no water in their realm because a monster is guarding the well. Of course the hero manages to defeat the monster, and bring water back.

Glaucus (Greece)

Glaucus, son of King Minos of Crete, dies, and the seer Polydius brings him back to life. Against his will, Minos forces the seer to teach Glaucus the art of divination. However, when Polydius is finally allowed to leave, he asks Glaucus to spit into his mouth, and the boy forgets everything he'd learned.

The fairy midwife (Guernsey)

This is a common tale type I have blogged about before, where a woman acts as midwife to the fairies, and accidentally gets something in her eye that allows her to see through enchantments later on. In a version from Guernsey, that something is the saliva of the newborn fairy baby.

Talking spit

This is a folktale motif, rather than an individual tale. There are many stories around the world where someone escapes captivity of witches / ogres / devils / abusive parents / etc., and spits on the floor on the way out. Later on, the spit answers in their name, delaying the discovery that they'd escaped. (D1611: Magic spittle impersonates fugitives)
In the tale of Dhon Cholecha from Nepal, a girl escapes from demons by leaving spittle behind and putting charcoal in it. The motif is especially common in Blancaflor tales from Spain and Latin America (see here, here and here).

Would you tell any of these stories to your audiences? 

7 comments:

  1. Saliva, without which we could not digest out food. Saliva, without which we could not even speak. Without it, a parched, dry mouth. If you spit something out, you reject it forcefully; you simply cannot, will not take it in. Not sure what to make of the magic qualities of saliva, but it certainly oils the system, and apparently disinfects the mouth as well. I think spit disgusts us because people who are shunned by society are spat on. And though it disinfects when kept in the mouth, it can spread disease when forcefully expelled.
    Not sure what I'm saying! Just trying to think through these magic powers in the folktales. You have it hen you have little else. And when you no longer have it--say, in a severe drought--you are in trouble indeed.
    Loving your posts--your breadth and depth and use of language amaze me. x J

    ReplyDelete
  2. My late husband had head/neck cancer. After surgery to remove his soft palate and tonsils on one side, he underwent 6 weeks of radiation. It destroyed his salivary glands. I've never taken saliva for granted ever since.

    Donna McNicol - My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly is interesting that people think so much about saliva!
    https://nydamprintsblackandwhite.blogspot.com/2023/04/see-paynton-smith-semaphore.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really interesting! And I'd personally enjoy the St. Donatus D&D campaign, if you're leading one. I read your apology for not commenting, and I had to laugh. You have been busy traveling, and I've been missing out commenting because I'm busy planning a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember reading about Kvasir during my research -- always gross :-)

    Ronel visiting for S:
    My Languishing TBR: S
    Speedy Steeds

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I'm every in real trouble, I hope I can spit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The story of Kvasir reminded me how it's a traditional to seal deals by spitting into one's palm before shaking hands. It's interesting how spitting is usually connected to luck one way or another - maybe somehow related to eating, as in having enough food?

    Life with Mia

    ReplyDelete