Wednesday, April 5, 2023

D is for the Digestive System (Body Folktales)

This year, my A to Z Challenge theme is Body Folktales. Enjoy!

For today's topic, I researched folktales that feature the stomach, intestines, and the digestive system in general. Things, as expected, did get delightfully weird.

CW: intestines and bowels and whatnot

Hair's Revenge (Nigeria)

Back in the beginning of time, Hair and Stomach lived in the same town. However, while Hair went on a business trip, Stomach slept with all of his wives. When Hair found out, he started chasing Stomach, who begged a traveler on the road to shelter him inside his body. When Hair caught up, and heard Stomach shivering inside the man, he decided to guard the man's orifices so Stomach could never come out again. Ever since then humans have had hair around all their... exits. And ever since then, swallowing a hair makes our stomach revolt.

Kenkebe and the ant (South Africa)

A man named Kenkebe has an unfortunate habit of exchanging his body parts with animals. Once he exchanges his stomach for the stomach of an ant - which his wife discovers because he spills most of his dinner under the table since the ant stomach can't hold it. The wife orders Kenkebe to get his own body parts back.

A man's stomach (Lithuania)

This is a folktale type marked as 716 in the Lithuanian tale type index. It's about three men who go out into the woods and complain about always being hungry, and having to spend money on food. An old man shows up and offers to take their stomach out, hanging them in a tree. The men go home happily, with their problem solved - but they soon discover that life is no fun at all without eating, and return to the woods. They find their stomachs shriveled up, but the old man helps them undo the damage so they can eat again.

The Taoist in the otherworld (China)

There is an old Chinese legend about a Taoist who travels into the Otherworld and participates in a delicious feast. The fairies living in that world remove all his digestive organs, and that grants him eternal youth - so when he returns into the world of mortals, he finds himself younger than his grandchildren.

The kings of Madur Maskut (Khasi people)

The small but fierce kingdom of Madur Maskut constantly threatens its neighbors with invasion. Its greatest warrior is U Niang Raja, who goes around without bodyguards and is rumored to be impossible to kill. He is attacked and chopped up multiple times, but always returns. Finally, a neighboring king hires a beautiful woman to seduce the raja and find out his secret. It turns out that the prince keeps his soul in his intestines; when he bathes in the river, he takes the intestines out and washes them, then dries them on a rock. She betrays his secret, and the next time he goes swimming, assassins burn his intestines, killing him.

Which story is the weirdest? Did any of them sound familiar?

Don't forget to leave your links in the comments so I can visit back! :)

14 comments:

  1. "Mon dessin ne représentait pas un chapeau. Il représentait un serpent boa qui digérait un éléphant."

    God, I've read that story so many times.😅

    C is for Contrast

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Taoist one. I can picture what might happen afterwards being younger than his grandchildren. My images change depending on how old I picture his grandchildren to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie (jannghi.blogspot.com). The hair and stomach one

    ReplyDelete
  4. First story is hilarious! And the thought of a hair in my mouth (let alone it ever reaching my stomach) makes me almost gag. I can watch a hair fall off my own head, land on my food, and be removed immediately, and I STILL can't eat the food anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Hair's Revenge' from Nigeria is so funny.
    And 'The Taoist in the Underworld' from China may be the reason for intermittent fasting:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried to comment on your blog, but I cannot.

      Delete
  6. "The Taoist in the Otherworld" is my favourite today.

    Ronel visiting for D:
    My Languishing TBR: D
    Dichotomy of the Sasabonsam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Each one is a gem, but I liked the Nigerian one the best, LOL. Probably because I grew up there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Hair's Revenge is hilarious and my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The one with the removable intestine is the strangest to me.
    https://findingeliza.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those definitely got weird fast. But I like that explanation about hair around the exits because that make sense of something that I never thought to ask about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. G'day Zalka,
    I am starting to learn more about folktales around the world from reading your posts and those of Ronel as well.

    I loved the first one from Nigeria. I often wake up in the morning with a hair in my mouth - I have long hair and it falls out easily.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delightfully weird...not sure about delightfully, but certainly weird even for folklore. I'm going with 'Hair's Revenge'....there's some truth there that's nearly as revolting as swallowing a hair. (wishing for the throw up emoji). CollectInTexasGal

    ReplyDelete
  13. They got so funny and weird, I loved them. I can relate that life won't be so good withooout eeating, but why would the man on the 2nd story trade his stomach with an ant? Didnt he like his wife's cooking maybe?
    Visiting from : https://steampunkcowunicorn.wordpress.com/2023/04/09/d-is-for-dobbin-diablo/

    ReplyDelete