Friday, April 14, 2023

L is for Liver (Body Folktales)

This year, my A to Z Challenge theme is Body Folktales. Enjoy!


Yeah, I could have done Legs or Limbs, but this one was more fun.

Pkharmat (Chechen legend)

Prometheus would have been an obvious choice for this topic, but instead I'm linking the Chechen version of the fire theft myth. The hero Pkharmat steals fire from the god of storms, with the help of the Mother of Narts in her bird form. After giving fire to humans, he returns voluntarily for his punishment, to be chained on the icy mountains. Every day a bird comes and asks him if he's regretted his actions but he says no; the bird then eats his liver, which grows back every day.

Why people have livers (Pengo people, India)

The creator makes the first boy and girl, but as they grow up they don't start to speak or walk. Eventually he asks his wife for advice. She suggests that he should cut her open as well as the children, and see what the difference is inside. The creator does so, and discovers that the children have no liver. He uses fig blossoms to make them livers. Ever since then, people can walk and talk, and fig trees have no flowers.

The liver of thunder (Miao people, China)

An old woman gives birth to seven brothers with magical abilities. When she gets sick, she claims the only thing that can cure her is eating the liver of thunder. The seven brothers manage to capture thunder, but while they wait to take its liver out, a robber accidentally frees it. Even since then, thunder doesn't harm robbers and thieves.

The liver of the wise and the liver of the foolish (Egypt)

A king is ill, and his vizier tells him that he needs to eat the liver of a foolish person and the liver of a wise person to get well. He immediately imprisons a judge ("wise") and a Bishari man ("foolish"). The Bishari man, however, proves him that his selection was wrong, saving his own life and the life of the judge (and throwing the vizier under the bus). From here, the story follows the Bishari man who marries the judge's daughter, and proves he is wiser than the judge himself.

Johnny and the liver (African-American story)

A classic horror folktale type in an American setting: a boy goes to buy liver but loses the money, so he cuts out the liver of a fresh corpse in the cemetery. At night, the corpse comes looking for its liver. In this version, the boy steals liver from another corpse and gives it to the first one - then lets them fight among themselves.

Were any of these stories familiar?

Question of the day: Are there any liver dishes that you enjoy? :)

8 comments:

  1. "Johnny, I'm on the first step! I want my liver!" and on up the stairs until the teller yells "Gottcha!" I know this story very well. I remember spending the night at my friends in elementary school and one of us telling this story after we were in bed. In ours, he didn't lose the money, he spent in on candy or something. And he didn't have a chance to go get another liver because the first victim got him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that liver is the most disgusting food on the planet. But, the folktales around it are great. I enjoyed reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I want to.know what a Nart is, and how one becomes the Mother of them.

    Also, the dude stealing the corpse's needs to be a horror movie, stat.

    K is for Kolinsky Sable Brushes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Narts are a band heroes in the legends of peoples in the Caucasus (kinda like Fianna, or Knights of the Round Table). They are usually men, but there are also some women, and a very powerful goddess-mother who oversees them.

      Delete
  4. Even before I was vegetarian I refused to eat liver. Although I would eat kidneys cooked in my mum's way. But then I refused most meat and fish, so going vegetarian was a relief, really!
    Love the Egyptian one. I had a feeling Bishwari was going to turn out to be the wise one :)
    Jemima

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always share such fascinating stories! These ones are particularly after my own macabre heart.

    Before I went vegetarian, I loved chopped liver. Now I have to content myself with mock chopped liver, made of hard-boiled eggs, walnuts, and mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So that's why fig trees don't have flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The things you learn. But technically thunder doesn't harm anyone... it's the lightning that'll do you.
    https://nydamprintsblackandwhite.blogspot.com/2023/04/laforge-atozchallenge.html

    ReplyDelete