Wednesday, April 12, 2023

J is for Joints (Body Folktales)

This year, my A to Z Challenge theme is Body Folktales. Enjoy!

(Image from here)

The adventures of the twins (Congo)

Twin brothers set out to find their father who had gotten lost on a trading voyage. They travel through a strange country where people can do whatever they want with their bodies. Some take out their bones before climbing a tree so they don't break in the event of a fall. Some turn their feet backwards at the ankle so they don't stub their toes. Some turn their knees backwards so they don't scrape them if they trip, or their arms so they can fall backwards without harm. At a marketplace, everyone is missing their jaw - it later turns out they made it a rule to avoid quarreling.

Sana (Zarma people, Niger)

A beautiful girl vows to only marry a man who has no joints in his body. A snake turns himself into a man with no joints, and proposes to her, spiriting her away from her family. By the time she realizes who her husband is, it is too late. After many troubles and adventures, her outcast brother rescues her.

How people got joints (Dogon people, Mali)

Dogon mythology is full of fascinating imagery and symbolism. Among them, there is a story about an ancestor who was a heavenly smith, who decided to come down to earth on a granary full of plants, animals, and people. He made the journey down the rainbow, defending the granary from the attacks of the Nummo spirits who had no joints in their limbs. Neither did the smith, but the impact of his landing broke his arms and legs, creating the joints that he then passed on to humans, making their limbs capable of working.

Ha! Managed to sneak another body part that starts with J into this post :) Did you see it?

11 comments:

  1. Jamie (jannghi.blogspot.com):
    No joints! Trying to imagine that! And trying to imagine turning one's knees inside to avoid scraping them. I'd loved to done that when I was little :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found the other "J". LOL. Seems like after turning everything else around you would just stub your hill and scrap the back of your knee.

    https://findingeliza.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lore about joints, now I've seen it all. Love it.
    We owe you a jawbreaker candy for adding another J in there.
    I'm focused on the April #AtoZChallenge.
    Proof of Existence, book two in my dark urban fantasy series, is out this month.
    I'm running a giveaway on my blog.

    J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Reference& Speculative Fiction Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea that joints give us humanss trouble, but then so does the work we have to do in order to survive. I like thinking of the jaw as a joint. In grad school I developed a mild case of TMJ disorder, and it was no fun. In Britain they call talking "jawing", which, as your twins story reminds us, causes a load of trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating that all these Joint folklore pieces come from central Africa. I wonder why they had a thing about joints? And jaws. :D
    Jemima

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, another "j". I think I like the last story the best.

    My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
  7. No joints and a removable jaw? Interesting, I didn't realize our bodies worked that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having no joints is the opposite extreme of my double-jointed thumbs! My right thumb is much more flexible than the left, which really freaks some people out when I demonstrate how I can move it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun tales. I like the idea of being about to switch around one's body however one wishes. I'm kind of sad the jointless snake man turned out to be an unsavory character.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would be very interested in knowing how old some of these tales are considered to be -- currently, the oldest possible recognized reference to a connective tissue disorder is "Ivar the Boneless," the firstborn son of Aslaug and Ragnar of the Viking saga. Connective tissue disorders, specifically Ehler-Danlos Syndrome, are credited for most cases of hypermobility (being "double-jointed").
    It would be very interesting if these tales predate the saga!

    ReplyDelete