Monday, March 16, 2020

A to Z 2020 Theme Reveal!


Today is the day! The day when all the bloggers participating in the A to Z Challenge reveal their planned themes for this year. I have been participating in A to Z since 2012, and I have been doing themes since 2013. They are always "Mythology and Folklore" related (duh). In the past years, my themes have been:

Weird Princesses (2013)
Tales with Colors (2014)
Epics A to Z (2015)
Diversity A to Z (2016)
WTF - Weird Things in Folktales (2017)
WTF Hungary - Weird Things in Hungarian Folktales (2018)
Fruit Folktales (2019)

This year, once again, I am doing a folktale-related theme. Drumroll, please! The theme for the 2020 A to Z Challenge on this blog is

FOLKTALES OF ENDANGERED SPECIES

I am going to dive deep into researching the traditional lore of some of the planet's most critically endangered animal species. All animal species are precious and unique and fascinating, but human activity has brought many of them to the brink of extinction. In order to raise awareness of this, and of the role these creatures play in our collective human imagination, I am going to present you some rare folktales about rare animals.

I am going to be mostly looking at the IUCN list of critically endangered species, but for the letters I can't fill I'll be selecting some species that are "just" endangered. I am also hoping to provide some information on how we all can contribute to preserving them and their habitats.

Some things I will observe:
- I want the stories to be from the same places as the animal species
- I want to make sure the stories actually refer to the right species (as far as it can be ascertained)
- I want the stories to portray the animal in a positive light
- I want to note the actual sources of each story

See you all in April! :)

Javan slow loris

Philippine pangolin
Kakapo

19 comments:

  1. You always have such wonderful themes! I'll be looking forward to this year's folktales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an awesome challenge. Can't wait to read it!

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Theme Reveal - Living the Twenties

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is far more unique than I could have imagined. I'm hooked! See you!
    A Hundred Quills

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your themes are always awesome, but this one feels very of the moment. Can't wait to see your posts.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings & Virginia's Parlour

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, this looks very cool - but a very tough assignment, as well. I look forward to seeing what you find for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The endangered species angle to the folk tales is intriguing. Looking forward to reading your posts. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, sounds fascinating! and super tough to meet all the extra criteria too - but I'm sure you'll come through blazing. Look forward to reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Intriguing theme. See you on the A2Z trail!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - magnificent theme. Can't wait to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting! Look forward to seeing what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is a fascinating and ambitious theme, and I can't wait to follow along in April!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rare animals first. Rare folk tales about them next. Interesting collection it will be based on research for collecting them. Good luck.

    Trying to document IE practice in Top Global Engineering Companies. #AtoZChallenge April Writing
    Industrial Engineering Practice in Top Global Manufacturing Companies - Top 100

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting theme Zalka. Looking forward to reading your content.
    Do check out if my theme interests you: http://www.rightpurchasing.com/a2zchallenge/
    --rightpurchasing.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Zalka. Thanks you for this theme. I thoroughly enjoyed your folktales last year and am looking forward to learning more about some of the endangered species’s legends. Volunteer worker for WWF since 2000, I know quite a lot about their habitats and habits, but not much about the stories us humans weave about them. Good luck with your research. Have an inspiring April.

    ReplyDelete