Monday, February 10, 2020

A country without tales (Following folktales around the world 142. - Burundi)

Today I continue the blog series titled Following folktales around the world! If you would like to know what the series is all about, you can find the introduction post here. You can find all posts here, or you can follow the series on Facebook!


African myths of origin
Stephen Belcher
Penguin Books Ltd., 2005.

Obviously, Burundi has folktales too. Every country does. But this is a first in the series' history: a country where I could find a single folktale from! As far as I know, where is a French collection, but I could not get my hands on it, and there also might be one in German I couldn't locate. Instead, I found one origin myth from the Kingdom of Burundi in the book above.
It told the story of how the legendary Ntare Rushatsi became king of Burundi. It started with his grandfather, who took the throne from a Hutu king with trickery. It was a complex story with a complex family tree. I liked the part where the future king was rescued from a jealous uncle by her aunt, who used various magic spells to keep him safe.

Where to next?
Rwanda!

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking for mythical demons or spirits or creature from Burundi, but I couldn't find any. Any ideas if they have a mythical creature other than Gustave the man-eating crocodile

    ReplyDelete