Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Q is for Quartz Crystals (Gemstone Folklore)

Welcome to the 2022 A to Z Blogging Challenge! My theme this year is Gemstone Folklore. Because I love stories about shiny things. Read the introduction to the project here.

ROCK CRYSTAL (QUARTZ)

Quartz is a crystalline mineral composed of silicone dioxide. Clear, transparent quartz is often called "rock crystal".

The legend of Manpupuner
Mansi/Komi legend

In the Ural mountains there is a fascinating geological site that features seven tall stone pillars. They are 30-40 meters high, standing on a plain, and made of schist rock with veins of quartz. A local Mansi (according to other sources, Komi) legend explains their origin.
According to the story, once there lived a powerful chief who had a son and a daughter. They were both brave and handsome, and their people flourished. The chief was on good terms with the spirits, who helped him build a tower (and/or castle) of crystal.
However, the giants that lived in the nearby mountains heard about the beautiful maiden, and their chief decided to take her as his wife. His suit was rejected, so he returned with six of his men to attack the tribe and steal the girl. The chief's son was away on a hunting expedition. People fled to the crystal building, seeking shelter. The giants fell upon the crystal walls and shattered them - scattering rock crystal all over the Ural mountains, where it can still be found.
Eventually the spirits, hearing the cries of the besieged, sent a thick fog. Under the cover of the fog, the people escaped. By the time the fog lifted the chief's son returned with a sword and shield gifted to him by the spirits. They reflected the sun so strongly that the giants, hit by the rays of light, turned into stone. Their king is the seventh pillar that stands apart from the others.

Sources: Read versions of the story here, here, and here. Read more about Manpupuner here and here.

If you built a castle from one gemstone, what would it be?

9 comments:

  1. A fascinating story! Not a part of the world I’m familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love stories that explain natural formations. A palace of gemstone ... hmmm ... I think I'd go for diamond, that way it would be unlikely to crack and fall down. Probably need a lot of curtains though 😉
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings: YouTube - What They Don't Tell You (and free fiction)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!
    I'd build a castle of sapphire - ooooooohhh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those folks of yore certainly came up with some doozies! Guess that's what happens when you don't have all the modern distractions that we have. Taking time to dream and imagine is becoming a lost art with many.

    A castle out of gemstone? I guess I might go for emerald since green is my wife's favorite color and I'm fond of it too.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun tale - it's an excellent idea to stay on the good side of the helping spirits. I'd have a hard time choosing what gemstone for my castle, but I'm leaning towards ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quartz at the top looks like a flower. I think a gemstone castle would be too slippery. I believe I will stick to a humble cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually like the idea of building a castle of clear quartz...

    Ronel visiting for the A-Z Challenge My Languishing TBR: Q

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm happy the story has sort of a happy end.
    If I build a castle, I would build it from onyx for dramatic effect :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love stories that developed because people were trying to make sense of natural phenomena. I've never heard of this place.

    ReplyDelete