Monday, April 4, 2022

C is fo Carnelian Beads (Gemstone Folklore)

Welcome to the 2022 A to Z Blogging Challenge! My theme this year is Gemstone Folklore. Because I love stories about shiny things. Read the introduction to the project here.

CARNELIAN

Carnelian is an orange-brown variety of chalcedony. Historically it has been a popular semi-precious stone to many cultures; carnelian beads appear in archaeological sites, and in stories, in many places around the world.

The story of the Kithang clan
Lhota Naga legend

A man named Mering has a beautiful wife, Khamdrio, who has extremely long, luscious hair. When she washes it, a strand of her hair makes its way to the king's court, who immediately decides he wants a woman with such hair for himself. Mering refuses to give up his wife, and prepares his village for a siege. He surrounds it with a thick wall of "stinging leaves" which the soldiers can't cross. 
The village holds out for a while, until the king comes up with a trick. He pretends to agree to trade instead of fighting, and sends a merchant with marvelous carnelian beads into the village. However, the merchant is under orders to refuse selling the beads to anyone. He just flashes them around, and then on his way out he tosses them into the wall of stinging leaves. The villagers, blinded by the shinies, dismantle the walls themselves to pick out the beads - and the king manages to take a village.
(Mering and his family do get away unhurt in the end, though.)

Sources:
You can read this story here.

Other stories:
There are Indian variants of the Tablecloth, donkey, stick folktale type that feature a goat that poops agate/amber and carnelian beads. You can find one here (from the Kuki people), and one here (from Assam).

Do you like beads and bead jewelry? Do you have favorites?

23 comments:

  1. Love your A to Z idea! is this particular group of people from near Mongolia--do I have that right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you know all this stuff? It boggles the mind...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The king in the Lhota Naga legend was quite ingenious--even though, like most men in legends, his lusty ways are questionable.

    I have a beautiful Naga bead necklace made out of yellow and green beads. I'm not sure what stines the beads are made from, though. I may find out through your posts this month:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. People would dismantle anything good for a handful of shinies...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad they got away in the end...

    Ronel visiting for the A-Z Challenge My Languishing TBR: C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carnelian is such a lovely stone. I am very glad Mering and his family managed to get away despite the king's tricks.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings: YouTube - What They Don't Tell You (and free fiction)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never knew about this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is very interesting.
    I'm Ludo, using Mummy's Blogger name. I'm blogging from A to Z on GeorgesGPworld.uk.
    I think someone George knew made precious poops. He signed them and gave them as souvenirs. His name was Vladimir. Or maybe it's a myth, too.
    I think carnelian would be prettier.
    Ludo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow yet another interesting story! So glad I reached your blog ��

    See you around the A-Z challenge!
    https://momandideas.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that's some research. Loved the post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like beads and beaded jewlery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a fabulous tale. Why don't such greedy kings ever plan invasions and kidnapping based on receipt of a long strand of a man-eating lion's mane? That seems far more just. I love carnelian, and I love beads. I make jewelry and I have the windowsills in my studio lined with glass bottles filled with beads. The light shining through is so lovely and sparkly it always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the interesting stories you have found, this one has a happier ending than the last one. Why are ancient kings and deities always lusting for beautiful married women?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://steampunkcowunicorn.wordpress.com/2022/04/04/c-is-for-carousel/

      Delete
  14. Interesting. I used to own a Carnelian gemstone. Loved its color. I do indeed like beads and bead jewelry, particularly making it myself, though mostly from glass beads as they're less expensive than gemstone beads.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The king was clever and the villagers stupidly greedy... but the king still doesn't deserve to steal a woman. Some hair, though!
    C is for Chimeric

    ReplyDelete
  16. At least the king didn't get his way! Carnelian is beautiful. I don't wear much jewelry, and very seldom. But, I do love beads, and gemstones, and have jewelry for the beauty! I have some antique jet still sewn onto what seems to be the bodice of a mourning dress. Very fancy design.

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of the first pieces of silver jewelry I made featured a carnelian. It is a beautiful stone in my opinion. Loved the story.
    https://from cave walls.Wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am kicking myself for not reading your blog more. There is always something here that either entertains, educates, or fascinates me here. Often all at the same time.

    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side | A to Z of Conspiracy Theories

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a peculiar story!
    But so, what happenes to the woman? Was she trying to allure the king?

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Enter the New Woman

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've made jewelry with beads a few times, mostly when I worked as a camp counselor or at DIY shops on Cape Cod.

    I'd like to hear the story of how Mering and his family escaped!

    ReplyDelete