Saturday, April 2, 2022

B is for Bowenite Tears (Gemstone Folklore)

Welcome to the 2022 A to Z Blogging Challenge! My theme this year is Gemstone Folklore. Because I love stories about shiny things. Read the introduction to the project here.

BOWENITE

Bowenite is a hard, green semi-precious stone that plays an important role in the Maori culture of New Zealand (better known by the indigenous name pounamu, greenstone, see P later this month). It has a clear, translucent form called tangiwai, found in New Zealand in the area of Piopiotahi (Milford Sound).

The Tears That Turned to Stone
New Zealand

In Maori legends, greenstone has a deity, Ngahue, who commanded a taniwha (large water creature) named Poutini in guarding the precious greenstones. His adversary was Hinehoaka, goddess off sandstone, and her own taniwha, Whatipu (because sandstone is used to chisel greenstone). Once, during their struggles, Poutini had to flee. Stopping at Tuhua (Mayor Island) to rest, Poutini came across a beautiful woman named Waitaiki, felt lust for her, and kidnapped her, taking her along on his journey.
The woman's husband, Tamaahua, managed to track his stolen wife with the help of a magic dart. A long pursuit ensued, making various stops going south along the west coast of the islands, until Tamaahua almost caught up to the water creature dragging his wife along. Finally, stopping at the Arahura River, Poutini used his powers to turn the beautiful Waitaiki into greenstone. Tamaahua arrived too late. All he could do was weep over his petrified wife. His tears seeped into the stone, and created a clear form of bowenite, with tear-shaped marks, known as tangiwai - "tear water." In other versions, Waitaiki's own tears turned into stone as she wept for her husband.
The fascinating part: this legend is a complete, detailed "spoken map" of the coast of the New Zealand and its mineral resources.

Sources
Read the detailed story in this book. An early mention of the legend can be found in this book. You can also find information here and here.

Have you ever been to New Zealand? 
Were you aware of the importance of green stones in Maori culture?

19 comments:

  1. New Zealand is full of green rolling hills and the Tiki ( charm) is green. I had no idea of its significance 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah this is wonderful! (Although sad and somewhat upsetting. Poor woman.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not been to New Zealand, but it is one of those places I would love to visit. I had not even heard of Bowenite, let alone knew anything of it's significance. Thank you for all this new information (as always).
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings: YouTube - What They Don't Tell You (and free fiction)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very interesting project.
    Here's mine https://suestrifles.wordpress.com/a-to-z-2022/

    ReplyDelete
  5. A trip to New Zealand has been on my wish list for as long as I can remember. I think when I do go, I'll use this 'spoken map' to explore the coast:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! thanks for stopping by my blog.

    I see you’re writing about gemstone folklore, but while the stories and beliefs around different gems interests me I’ve never really had time to dig into them much. Your series this year could be a good start for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a great love of stones and I'm thrilled your doing this series. I've already decided if I have the stone you're writing about, I'll keep it on hand as I read its tale. The idea totally delights me. What a fascinating tale about bowenite/greenstone - and I can see how powerful it is to imagine the trail of the chase as one sees greenstone all over. I've never been to New Zealand, but I'd love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maori legends are so fascnating and different. I read a collectio years ago, and it felt so different from what we European are accustomed to.

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Enter the New Woman

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been to New Zealand and greenstone popped into my awareness from that trip. It was clearly an important part of the Maori culture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a gemstone I've not heard of before. It's quite pretty. I have not been to NZ, nor knew about the green stone's importance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting to read of this gemstone! I had not heard of it before nor been to NZ :) Looks like you have a nice theme for the challenge! Good luck with it for the rest of the challenge!

    betty
    https://benchsnotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never been to New Zealand and had not heard of this stone. I am pretty ignorant about gems. A very sad story and interesting that it's a story map.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing so much about this beautiful gemstone and the legend behind it. Would love to learn more about gemstones.

    See you around the A-Z challenge!
    https://momandideas.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm loving the legends you've found for your challenge! Pretty interesting, too bad that Tamaahua couldn't rescue her.
    https://steampunkcowunicorn.wordpress.com/2022/04/02/b-is-for-bastard/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have always been drawn to green minerals and gems. I once had an online friend who used Taniwha as her screen name. She was from New Zealand. Such an interesting story and one I had never heard.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I ever heard of this gemstone before, and I'm not familiar with New Zealand culture or history. I'd love to learn more, though.

    ReplyDelete