Saturday, April 9, 2022

H is for Heliotrope and Northern Lights (Gemstone Folklore)

Welcome to the 2022 A to Z Blogging Challenge! My theme this year is Gemstone Folklore. Because I love stories about shiny things. Read the introduction to the project here.

HELIOTROPE (BLOODSTONE)

Heliotrope is a form of jasper, usually dark green in color with bright red hematite spots, which is why it is more commonly known as bloodstone.

The Nimble Men
Scotland

Legend says that when the rebel angels fell from Heaven, they became three types of beings: those who fell to the land became Fairies, those who fell into the sea became Blue Men (Na Fir Ghorma), and those who stayed in the air became the Nimble Men (Na Fir Chlis, sometimes also translated as Merry Dancers or Streamers). According to another legend, the Nimble Men, the Blue Men, and the Green Ladies are all descendants of Queen Beira, the winter goddess. The Nimble Men are the Northern Lights, creating a flurry of colors with their dancing. Or, occasionally, fighting.

"The Nimble Men are divided into two clans. The heroes of one clan are clad in garments white as hoar-frost, and the heroes of the other clan in garments of pale yellow. Brighter and more varied colours are worn by the ladies of the clans. Some are gowned in green, some in red, and some in silvery white, and a few wear royal purple."

According to the story, a prince of the White Clan called Lightfoot, and the chief of the Yellow Clan, Green Eyes, competed for the love of a maiden called Princess Comely. She favored Lightfoot, who was the best dancer. One night, at the dance, Lightfoot proposed to her and she accepted. However, Green Eyes grew so angry that he and his men attacked the rival clan, and the party turned into a battle. So much blood was spilled that it dripped to the earth, and left red spots on the stones. When the battle was over, the princess went looking for Lightfoot, and found him cold and dead. Embracing him, she died of heartbreak.
The stones still bear the red spots of blood. They are called bloodstones, or fuil siochaire, "elf blood."

Sources
You can find this story in here. You can read more information here.

Have you ever seen the northern lights in real life? 
Did they look like a dance, or a battle?

16 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the Northern Lights but I imagine they do look like faerie sprites dancing or battling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, and sad, tale. By the way, the stone is beautiful.
    I have seen Northern Lights in Alsaka, and they look like dancing to me, gracefully, and peacefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the Northern Lights when I lived in Michigan. They were magical and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bloodstones or elf blood, wow. This was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

    Stopping in from A to Z:
    https://brewingcoffeetwistingwordsbreakingpencils.ca/2022/04/09/headache/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story! I'll have to see what this inspires in my writing...

    Ronel visiting for the A-Z Challenge My Languishing TBR: H

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is a sad one. The first time I heard bloodstone referred to as Heliotrope I was totally confused and thought it was a mistake, as I knew heliotrope as a lovely lavenderish color. I've never seen the Northern Lights, but I'd really like to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't remember seeing the Northern Lights in real life, but I would love to. Bloodstone is so beautiful. It is a shame there had to be a battle for it to get it's beauty.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings: YouTube - What They Don't Tell You (and free fiction)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why do angry boys always have to spoil the party? Not seen Northern Lights or blood stones, but they are purty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great story. The stone does look blood stained. When I lived in Alaska I saw the Northern Lights frequently. To me, they perform a very rhythmic and hypnotic dance. I find them very calming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not been fortunate to see the Northern Lights. I do have a few polished blood stones though! You asked the other day if we liked beads, so when I was at the thrift store I just had to buy a bracelet of hematite and something green, and thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw the northern lights in Minnesota. No dancing or fighting. More ethereally floating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sigh. Maybe someday these "heroes" will learn that fighting each other over a woman is idiotic since she's actually got a mind and opinions of her own, and will love whom she loves regardless of the outcome of their stupid fight.
    H is for Hoarding

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why do Scottish legend always have to be this tragic?

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Enter the New Woman

    ReplyDelete
  14. Legends are created out of part truth and part making the story more interesting. "That fish was this big"... I loved learning about the stone. I have seen the northern lights for real once as a kid. I wish I had paid more attention to it. They didn't look like a dance or a battle, they looked more like a shield of protection. Visiting from the annual A2Z Blogging Challenge
    I'm curious if O will be Opal?
    Cheers,
    Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a sad legend, poor lovers. I´d love to see the northern lights someday. I´ll think about this legend.

    ReplyDelete