Friday, February 28, 2014

D&D 40th anniversary blog hop challenge - Take 2!

Moving gracefully on.

Day 11: First splatbook you begged your DM to approve. 
Heroes of the Feywild? Didn't take much begging, though. He can deal with whatever we throw his way. Including feral Pixie Barbarians. Respect.

Day 12: First store where you bought your gaming supplies. Does it still exist?
There used to be a gaming store in my home town in Hungary called New Ork. That was the first place where I have ever met fellow geeks. It was an attic space with bookshelves and tables and games. Spent a lot of time there during my last two years of high school. It closed and moved online since, sadly.

Day 13: First miniature(s) you used for D&D.
This current campaign is my first time ever using a mini. Right now Honeybadger is represented by a small shiny pebble (the kind they line fish tanks with). Alternatively, sometimes I use a mini of Marvel's Wasp for her.

Day 14: Did you meet your significant other while playing D&D? Does he or she still play? (Or just post a randomly generated monster in protest of Valentine's Day). 
Did meet my first BF in the gaming club. Current BF also plays (and all the others in-between did as well). I don't have a type, I just like shared interests, especially if they are related to gaming.

Day 15: What was the first edition you didn't enjoy. Why?
I am still not OK with 4th edition, but I am slowly learning to appreciate it. I guess after putting all the effort into exploring and learning 3.5, I felt betrayed that I have to start over.

Day 16: Do you remember your first edition war? Did you win? ;)
Did I mention that I am playing in a 4th ed. campaign now?... ;)

Day 17: First time you heard D&D was somehow "evil."
Good God yes. Not about D&D, but role-playing in general. The first time we started experimenting (ha!) with M.A.G.U.S. with my high school friends, one of the mothers went ballistic on us. Granted, I was in a Catholic school, so the only surprise is that no one else did.
(There were also urban legends floating around that two guys were expelled from the nearby seminary because they were caught playing M.A.G.U.S. at night. The rule book has a gigantic pentagram on the cover.)

Day 18: First gaming convention you ever attended. 
*Holds up the convention-appropriate version of the V card*

Day 19: First gamer who just annoyed the hell out of you. 
Moving on.

Day 20: First non-D&D RPG you played. 
M.A.G.U.S., technically. Shortly after that, 7th Sea (still love it!). And then I got hooked on Changeling: The Dreaming (my ultimate favorite, did I mention I'm a storyteller?). My first Spanish speaking system was Piratas! I am still hoping that one day I will actually have a party to play that one with.

Day 21: First time you sold some of your D&D books--for whatever reason. 
Nope! Gotta catch 'em all.

Day 22: First D&D-based novel you ever read (Dragonlance Trilogy, Realms novels, etc.)
The Dark Elf Trilogy from R.A. Salvatore. It was big in high school. One of my friends did fan art for it in class, that's how I noticed. So, technically, I read those books before I ever played D&D.

Day 23: First song that comes to mind that you associate with D&D. Why?

Day 24: First movie that comes to mind that you associate with D&D. Why? 
Guess what: Gummy Bears. Say anything. I dare you. I double D&Dare you.

Day 25: Longest running campaign/gaming group you've been in. 
We played for more than a year with the ETSU party (love you guys!). Currently, campaign has been going on since January.

Day 26: Do you still game with the people who introduced you to the hobby? 
Nope. Other continent. But I do love meeting new people!

Day 27: If you had to do it all over again, would you do anything different when you first started gaming? 
I would try more games. Back when we had tons of time to play, and a lot of energy to spare, I wish I tried more game systems. It gets harder to get a party together once you start college, and especially work. Other than that... not really. It has been fun so far! 

Day 28: What is the single most important lesson you've learned from playing Dungeons & Dragons?
ROLE-PLAYING IS NOT EVIL AND IT IS NOT A WASTE OF TIME. It creates friendships, teaches teamwork, trains your creativity and imagination, helps you learn languages, gives self-confidence, relaxes you through laughter, and blends into storytelling really well. I was a DM 8 years before I found out storytelling is a profession that exists. And I suddenly understood why I always had the urge to play Bards. It was the best training I could have ever wished for.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you've met the challenge head-on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Changeling The Dreaming :-D
    This is very rare.

    But CtD is my favorit, too.

    ReplyDelete