Saturday, April 13, 2013

L is for the Loquacious Princess

I just like saying 'loquacious.' One of the most fun English words, seriously.

Today's princess is once again brought to you from Hungary, and the title of the folktale actually translates into "The loquacious princess," I did not make this one up, people.

Well, Princess Loquacious has a minor problem: she talks. A lot. So much, in fact, that no one can get a word in edgewise. And she does not only talk - she also swears and curses, which is very un-princess-like (but awesome fun to tell to the right audience). Finally we end up at the usual place: King declares that whoever can leave his daughter speechless can marry her.
Princess agrees this is a good idea: she would not want to marry someone who can't hold his end of the conversation. Finally, a princess after my own heart...

As the story goes on, three brothers set out to out-talk the princess. After the first two fail, the youngest decides to give it a try - he has fallen behind on the road because he picks up everything he sees, including eggs, rusty nails, and cowpies. Once he is in front of the princess a hilarious exchange ensues in which he has an answer to everything, and the banter results in the princess breaking down in tears of laughter... and marriage.

Who doesn't like a good banter between people destined for each other? TV shows run on that stuff. I also like the idea that the guy can keep up because he keeps his eyes open along the road and picks up random things that come in handy later. That's the way to go through life, people.

Have a nice A to Z free Sunday! See you all next week!


5 comments:

  1. That's a pretty awesome story! I think I'd find her quite annoying though

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting princess. Although, she'd get on my nerves because I'm not much of a talker.

    Loquacious is a fun word to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of this story before and it's always good things. Now I have to find it and read it.

    Have fun with a-z.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now she sounds like my kind of princess. Bet she wouldn't mind eating loquats--The Loquacious Princess eats loquats for dessert. :-)

    I've nominated you for the Liebster Award. You can pick it up and read all about it at my blog, Don't be a Hippie. Here's the direct link: A Sweetheart of an Award

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I love that word, and that princess sounds really entertaining. But I suppose you could get sick of her quickly.

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete