Wednesday, April 4, 2012

D is for Deities

I worked really hard to find something mythology-related with D so I can post this...
So, blogging about another blog is lame, but I don't really have time to write right now (thesis, argh), so I decided to post it anyway, because it totally made my day, possibly my week.

Myths Retold

Storyteller's diagnosis: Advanced Trickster.

The language would probably give the Jonesborough storytelling scene a collective heart attack (and yet I'd pay to be there to see it happen); but do not be fooled, and while you are covering up your children's eyes and ears, stop and take a minute to admire the layers. The guy knows his mythology and folklore. And his English language. Making fun of things only works really well if you know the thing you are making fun of really well.
I have been working on the Lokasenna for a class assignment (rather, the assignment was my excuse to spend precious time working with that story and not feel bad about not typing my thesis), and as I was reading his version and laughing so hard the nerd table in the diner thought I have lost it, I could actually follow the original song line by line between his lines. The awkward moment when you realize you are too much of a good girl to give the Lokasenna justice. I'll let the pros do the yelling. Creatively.

"... and Loki’s like PUSSY


and thor’s like HAMMER

and Loki’s like PANSY


and Thor’s like HAMMER


and Loki’s like YOU GOT PRANKED BY A GIANT


and Thor’s like HAMMER HAMMER HAMMER


and Loki’s like you’re not even listening to me are you


and Thor’s like hammer?..."



I want that on a T-shirt.

Nothing has changed since the Middle Ages, it takes a lot of smarts to be a good fool.

3 comments:

  1. Nothing has changed since the Middle Ages, it takes a lot of smarts to be a good fool.

    So very true.

    Look forward to your challenge run…
    --Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very nice to hear from you! Thank you for your comment. I really enjoy your post for "D"... you are a very busy person and still writing your thesis. Have fun> I will continue to check in on your A-Z fun!

    Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I could spend hours on that site. Thanks for the link.

    {ami}
    http://sundrysumthins.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete